Thanks for visiting.
We are dedicated to the gospel of Christ and to ministering to precious souls. If we can be of personal help be sure to email or phone. See side-bar for details on our regular services and look for our resources.
Text for the Week
“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” Exodus 20:12
This Wednesday evening, we continued to study and pray on the commandments. The fifth commandment is man’s charter for dealing with his fellowmen. It covers superiors, equals and inferiors. The Larger Catechism declares the wide scope of this commandment.
Q. 124 Who are meant by father and mother in the fifth commandment?
A. By father and mother, in the fifth commandment, are meant, not only natural parents, but all superiors in age and gifts; and especially such as, by God’s ordinance, are over us in place of authority, whether in family, church, or commonwealth. 1Tim. 5:1
Here are a few pointers on how to pray on the fifth commandment.
- Pray to live in the fear of God who sees and judges every thought, word and action.
- Pray for a servant spirit.
- Acknowledge unto God that your gifts and graces are to be used for the benefit and blessing of others.
- Ask God to guard your heart against every form of jealousy.
- Pray for opportunities to display submission and give assistance to others.
- Pray for help to so minister in your own home to serve your spouse and family.
- Ask for a thankful heart and grace to show appreciation.
- Pray for a serving attitude to bring glory to God, not to self.
- Resolve before God not to seek the well-done of men. Leave it to God to honour you.
- Pray that God will use your example to encourage others to give their lives to humble service for God’s glory.
Don’t expect this kind of witness from carnal men. It is the Christian who is to let others see their good works. In the sermon on the mount the Lord commanded us to, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven” (Mat 5:16).
_Pastor Ian Goligher
For our online church Calendar, Current Magazine online & missionary news go to: http://www.cloverdalefpc.ca/announcements/